Twitter has included new security verification option for Twitter users through the expansion of the two-factor authentication (2FA).
Supported third-party authentication apps can now be used for your login security verification.
Why the third-party Authentication Apps
Since May 2013, Twitter users have had the liberty to secure their Twitter accounts through the use of the SMS based two-factor authentication. But still, quite a number Twitter accounts are being hacked and that has created a question of how to better improve the security of Twitter accounts.
According to the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the SMS based two-factor authentication is not the best approach because of its security disadvantages. The NIST also updated its Digital Authentication guidelines hinting that the SMS based two-factor authentication should not be used because it is not secure.
However, Twitter users who use the SMS based two-factor authentication to secure their account are on a safer side than the ones who use none two-factor authentication at all.
The SMS based two-factor authentication is a good approach to securing your Twitter account but it is not a great one. So, there is a need to provide an additional security option to protect Twitter accounts. An additional security will make it hard for hackers to get access to your Twitter account.
In the spirit of looking beyond the SMS based two-factor authentication and providing an additional approach to securing Twitter accounts, Twitter introduced a new way of protecting and authenticating accounts.
On Thursday, the 21st of December, Twitter made an official announcement via a tweet:
“We are rolling out an update to login verification. You will use a third party app for two-factor authentication instead of SMS text messages”
With this third-party app authentication, the fear of having your login code intercepted by a hacker will be eliminated. This is because the code from the third-party apps like Google authenticator will disappear 30 seconds after generation.
What are the supported third-party Authentication Apps?
The supported third-party authentication apps that can now secure account are Google authenticator, Authy, Duo mobile 1Password and some other similar authentication apps.
With these authentication apps, you can make your Twitter account a lot more secured.
How to Set Up a third-party Authentication App to Secure your Twitter Account
Here is how you can set up using a separate third-party authentication app for your Twitter account:
- First off, download and install a supported authentication app like Google Authenticator on your mobile device.
- Go to www.twitter.com on your web browser.
- Enter your Twitter login details in the provided field to log in.
- Having logged in, click the “profile and account” icon.
- Then click the option “settings and privacy”.
- Select the account tab.
- Click on the “review your login verification methods”.
- Then enter your Twitter password in the provided field to reconfirm it is your Twitter account.
- click the “set up” that is next to “mobile security app”.
- Read the instructions and then click “start”.
- You might be asked to verify your password again. If you are, enter your password and click “verify”.
- A window will then pop up displaying a QR code.
- Set up the installed authentication app on your device by scanning the QR Code.
- A 6 digit code will then appear. enter this code in the provided field on the pop-up window.
- Click “done”
Note: If you are logged in to your Twitter account through the web or the Twitter app, you will not be logged out when your verification is enabled.