Facebook.com was not excluded from about 10,000 domain names being blocked in mainland China. This action taken by China government base on the country’s Internet censorship policy prevents users from accessing certain websites on the block list from within the country.
Facebook along with Twitter and Google services were blocked in 2009 with the claim that their services do not abide by China’s policy. Facebook was blocked following a series of riots in the western capital of the Xinjiang province, Urumqi. The Chinese government claimed that independence activists used Facebook as a means of communication during the riots, which resulted in nearly 200 death.
Messenger communication is encrypted and cannot be deciphered if intercepted, Chinese authorities have no control over the content of the site. So users in western countries could freely communicate with users in China. Therefore, Facebook is perceived as a threat to China’s political system.
Users who attempt to access the website from the mainland will receive an error page. The app will stop working as well, the news feed will not refresh and users will not be able to receive notifications once you are in mainland China. This is the same for Facebook Messenger app their users cannot send or receive messages in mainland China.
Many people in China use VPNs to unblock Facebook and Messenger because it is blocked not ban. Foreigners still have access to Facebook a VPN which is not against China’s law
China government has made a lot of effort in developing its own internet industry, which had been a success if you ask me because China internet industry is the only one that can compete with the United States presently. The likes of Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, Jd.com and Netease are part of the top 10 internet companies in the entire world by market capitalization. QQ, WeChat, Sina Weibo is used by the Chinese to replace the site owned by the United States that have been blocked in China.
The home-based companies have benefitted and been allowed to progress steadily since there is no international rival.
Despite not being able to operate in China, Facebook still manages to earn significant revenue from the country via a limited number of advertising reseller networks. Which explain why Facebook recently hired a new engineering team in Singapore to develop new ad-buying tools for Chinese companies going abroad.
As long as strict controls remain in place, it appears Facebook and others will remain on the sidelines.
HOW TO ACCESS FACEBOOK IN CHINA
There are a few ways to access Facebook Site in China. Below are the options:
- Virtual private networks (VPN) is a service allow anybody to pretend to be in a different country, it is programme to encrypts all device’s internet traffic and then routes it through a server in a remote location of the user’s preference. It
It is commonly used by foreigner base in China even though VPNs are sometimes blocked, difficult to use and also monitored.
- Although Proxy Website can be monitored as well, theproxy website is another option those that want to access Facebook from China.
How to access Facebook using VPN
- Sign up for a VPN service with optimum speed, security, and the ability to unblock just about anything.
- Make sure that your VPN works perfectly in China because some of this VPN has been blocked by the China government
- Follow the instructions one after the other for downloading your VPN and launch the application on your device(s). It advisable you download and install your VPN software before you visit China.
- Log in with your credentials.
Choose which server to connect to, enter your username and password so you can select a location free of censorship. You can now try out the blocked apps and the unblocked app and enjoy an unrestricted and free Internet experience.