We all know what a remote control means. A device that gives you the convenience to control or navigate through another device such as TV, HDVR, DVD, radio etc. not within a convenient reach.
Are you having a headache using your new DirecTV remote or are you finding it difficult to follow the manual to program your DirecTV remote? Here is a simplified manual you can follow.
This article is about how you can program your DirecTV remote to use on quite a number of devices without having to acquire a bunch of remote controls for each and every devices.
Depending on which type of the directv remote you have, the processes for programming them are different.
There are the universal DirecTV remote and genie DirecTV remote.
Program your DirecTV universal remote
- On your universal remote, press the menu button
- On the instructions from the on-screen, select setting and help> then settings>remote control>program remote.
- Now, choose the device you want to program from the devices listed
- Then, follow every other instruction from the on-screen to complete programming your remote.
Programming your directv universal remote for SD DVR or SD receiver
- Press the menu button on your DirecTV universal remote
- From the on-screen instructions, select the following options consecutively: parental favs and setup>system setup>remote or remote control>program remote
- Then, select and choose the device you want to program
- Follow the on-screen instructions that follow to complete your programming
Note: in setting up your universal remote, there may be a case where you cannot find the device you want to control with the remote among the listed devices, then you should use the DirecTV code lookup tool to find the five digits code of the device.
Related: Amazon FireStick and Remote
Program your DirecTV genie remote
For programming your genie remote, you can do automatic pairing or you can follow the manual process to program the remote.
Automatic programming of genie remote
- Point your genie remote at your genie device
- Then, press and hold mute and enter button until the green light on the top of the remote blink twice
- The TV screen will then show “applying IR/RF setup“. Meaning its ready for programming then turn on the device you want to control with the remote.
- After then, press the menu button on the remote
- Got to ‘setting and help‘ on the on-screen instruction then select; setting‘ >remote control>program remote.
- You should then choose the name of the device you want to control with the remote
- Then follow the on-screen instruction to complete the programming.
How to program your Genie remote manually
- Point your remote to your genie device
- Press and hold the mute and select buttons until the green light on the top blinks twice
- Enter the number 961 code on the remote number keypad
- Press channel up button and then enter
- Your TV screen will display “your remote now setup for RF” then, select “ok“
- Now turn on the device you want to control with the remote
- Press the menu button on the genie remote
- From the on-screen instruction select, the following options: setting and help> settings>remote control>program remote.
- Choose the device you want to control from the listed devices on the screen
- Now, follow the on-screen instruction to complete. Then, you are all set.
You can also program your DirecTV universal remote manually
Follow the following steps to program your DirecTV universal remote manually when the on-screen programming did not work
- first, go to DirecTV official site and locate your TV five-digit code
- Then turn on your TV and the receiver
- Select and press the TV button on the remote to enter the TV mode
- Press and hold down mute and select buttons until the green light on the top blinks twice
- Then, you should enter the five-digit code you had located on the DirecTV official site
- Press the volume button (this is to make sure the pairing is ok and to test its functionality.)
If it adjusts the volume that means all is well then you can proceed to the next step. But if all doesn’t go well, repeat step two, three and four
- Then enter the code 960 on the number keypad of your remote. There will be a flash of the green light
- There, the pairing is complete
To program any of your DirecTV remotes, all you need do is to follow any of the enlisted steps above.